Easy Mediterranean Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
Here’s a recipe for the mouth-watering Mediterranean grilled jumbo shrimp that’s quick and easy to prepare. The shrimp is marinated in a flavorful blend of Mediterranean herbs and garlic, giving it a delicious taste. Once marinated, simply grill the shrimp for a few minutes until done. Whether you’re serving it as a main course or as an appetizer, this dish is sure to impress. If you’re hosting a party, you can easily double the recipe to feed a larger crowd. And if the weather isn’t cooperating, you can still enjoy this shrimp by grilling them indoors. It’s the perfect dish for any occasion!
Tips for Best-Grilled Shrimp
With just a handful of straightforward suggestions, you can elevate your shrimp-grilling game and savor every bite bursting with flavor.
• When it comes to shrimp, I prefer the larger variety, typically 20/25 shrimp per pound with the shell. If I can find even larger shrimp, I opt for those as they are more substantial and simpler to handle.
• Infuse your shrimp with delicious flavor by marinating them in an olive-oil-based marinade for a short period (aim for a minimum of 10 minutes, ideally 40 minutes in the fridge). Not only will this keep the shrimp juicy while grilling, but it will also enhance their taste.
• For the best results when using skewers, it is recommended to use bamboo skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 30 minutes up to an hour before using them. This will ensure that the skewers do not burn or char while cooking and will allow your food to cook evenly.
• To ensure perfectly grilled shrimp, avoid overcooking them. Even the biggest shrimp will only take a short time to grill, typically between 5 to 7 minutes
Ingredients to Make Easy Mediterranean Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
- olive oil
- soy sauce
- zest of lemon
- garlic cloves minced
- black pepper
- large shrimp in shell
Grilled Shrimp Marinade
For your grilled shrimp marinade, it’s best to steer clear of citrus as the acid can alter the shrimp’s texture. Instead, I suggest adding lemon juice only after cooking the shrimp.
My preferred choice of seasoning involves olive oil infused with fresh garlic and lemon zest, along with soy sauce, dried oregano, and a hint of pepper. Feel free to customize the spices to your taste. The inclusion of olive oil in the marinade serves a dual purpose:
It facilitates the even distribution of flavors from spices on the shrimp.
Additionally, the fat content of the olive oil acts as a safeguard against the burning of fresh garlic, thereby amplifying its taste.
How to Cook Easy Mediterranean Grilled Jumbo Shrimp:
For indoor grilling, prepare a cast-iron skillet grill by heating it over medium-high heat until it’s hot, but not smoking. Lightly oil the skillet and add the shrimp skewers. Cook the shrimp on one side for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, then flip and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes on the other side.
For cooking shrimp on an outdoor gas grill, start by heating the grill to high. Once heated, adjust the temperature to a range between 275 and 325 degrees Fahrenheit. Gently apply some oil to the grates and place the shrimp skewers on them. Cover the grill with the lid and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes before flipping the shrimp over and cooking for another 2 to 3 minutes with the lid closed.
When shrimp turns from its original grey and flabby appearance to an opaque pink color with a bright red tail, it is fully cooked. In terms of texture, properly cooked shrimp should possess a slight firmness and enough crunch to the bite.
Serve it with
These succulent Mediterranean Grilled Jumbo Shrimp can effortlessly take center stage as your main course, but they also make a delectable pairing with your preferred sauce. Moreover, you can also complement your shrimp with any of these appetizing side dish recipes.
Easy Mediterranean Grilled Jumbo Shrimp
- 2 lb large shrimp in shell
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 lemon(zest)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- black pepper a salt to tasty
- Mix the ingredients for the marinade in a petite container.
- Begin by drying off the shrimp and then sprinkling them with salt. Transfer the seasoned shrimp to a spacious bowl and proceed top our the marinade all over them. Give it a good toss to mix everything.
- It is recommended to cover the dish and place it in the refrigerator for a duration of 20 to 30 minutes. It is advised not to exceed this time limit.
- Arrange approximately 4 large shrimp onto skewers, ensuring that they are threaded securely. If using bamboo skewers, it is recommended to soak them in water for a minimum of 30 minutes beforehand.
- For cooking shrimp on a cast-iron skillet grill, begin by heating the skillet over medium-high heat and lightly oiling it until it becomes hot but not smoking. Add the shrimp skewers and cook for approximately 3 to 4 minutes on one side. Flip the shrimp over and cook for an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle a dash of fresh lemon juice over the dish before serving.