Enjoy a delicious baked pesto chicken recipe in just 25 minutes! Combining the aromatic pesto, sweet tomatoes and melted mozzarella, this dish is sure to be juicy and flavorful.
I’m astonished I haven’t shared this delectable baked pesto chicken recipe with you yet! It is one of my go-to chicken dinners.
Preparing this delicious baked pesto chicken recipe only takes around 5 minutes! Loaded with fresh and simple ingredients like chicken breast, basil pesto, mozzarella, and tomatoes, it’s sure to be a hit with kids and adults. Give it a try and you’ll be sure to make it a regular meal in your home.
I love making baked pesto chicken recipe with chicken breast, but if you have chicken thighs around, they work just as well. For a seafood alternative, I suggest making pesto salmon — it’s just as easy and uses the same ingredients, except for the mozzarella.
WHAT IS PESTO CHICKEN?
This delicious dish uses chicken breast as a base, finished with a pesto sauce, mozzarella cheese, and tomatoes for a fresh, Italian-inspired flavor.
INGREDIENTS TO MAKE BAKED PESTO CHICKEN RECIPE
This dish can be made with only four ingredients—chicken, pesto, mozzarella, and salt and pepper—coming together for a delicious meal.
• Look for boneless, skinless chicken breasts that are of similar size to ensure even cooking.
• Basil pesto
• Fresh mozzarella cheese is available in a ball or log form and contains more moisture than its semi-firm counterpart. Although regular shredded or sliced mozzarella can be used, using fresh mozzarella is preferred for its superior flavor.
• cherry tomatoes – This dish works best with tomatoes of a certain size, but any type of slicing tomato can be used.
• Salt and black pepper
HOW TO MAKE BAKED PESTO CHICKEN RECIPE
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C)
• Bake chicken.
Put chicken breasts into a sizeable baking dish that is great for both oven and tabletop use.
Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
Cover the top with pesto sauce.
Layer the chicken with tomato slices and mozzarella cheese.
• Rest. Allow the chicken to sit for a bit, which helps retain the moisture.
Bake for 25 minutes.
Allow the chicken to sit for a bit, which helps retain the moisture.
- To get a browned chicken, pan-sear chicken breast in an oven-safe skillet for 3-4 minutes on each side. Once done, top with pesto and other toppings, and place in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the cheese is melted.
- Make pesto (if not using store-bought)
- Put the chicken in a baking dish, season it, and spread the pesto on top. Cover the dish with plastic wrap or foil and store in the fridge until you’re ready to bake.
- Store any remaining food in the fridge for two to three days.
CAN YOU FREEZE PESTO CHICKEN?
It is possible to freeze baked pesto chicken for 2-3 months.
For the juiciest chicken, heat the chicken in a 350 degrees F oven if possible, or in the microwave. To avoid drying out, top the chicken with a pesto sauce before baking.
More Recipe with Chicken
Keto Crispy Parmesan Crusted Chicken
Balsamic Baked Chicken Breast with Mozzarella Cheese
Baked Pesto Chicken Recipe
- 4 Chicken breasts medium
- ⅓ cup Basil pesto
- 3 oz Fresh mozzarella cheese
- 4 Cherry tomatoes slicedthinly
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (204 degrees C)
- Put chicken breasts into a sizeable baking dish that is great for both oven and table top use.
- Season with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Cover the top with pesto sauce.
- Layer the chicken with tomato slices and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 25minutes.
- Allow the chicken to sit for a bit, which helps retain the moisture.